Our kayaking adventure starts from the Beach Pavilion and lasts about one and half to two hours. We will start at the ocean where our Guide will teach the basis of paddling and how to turn the kayak left and right. We start by paddling west in the turquoise ocean for about thirty minutes when we reach the Picadosa Lagoon entrance. Then we will navigate the entrance into the Picadosa and then paddle into the pristine lagoons. If you are interested in kayaking further into the mangrove waterways, please let your Guide know. Then we will return back near to the entrance of the Picadosa where you may swim if you are so inclined to. Let our Guide know and we will take a break along the sandy shores at the entrance of the Picadosa to swim in the clear lagoon. We will then paddle east to return back to the Beach Pavilion. You will be able to see a multiplicity of birds in the lagoon as well as a variety of crabs in the mangroves (and don’t worry since the crabs will not get near your kayak). If you are a beginner to kayaking, please let your Guide know in advance, so that we can teach you in our shallow bay with minimal waves.
⇣ Safety Instructions
- Life Vest must be worn at all times.
- No more than two adults plus child in any kayak.
- Never stand up in your kayak or try to paddle into other kayaks.
- Do not try to catch any of the flora or fauna in the mangroves.
- If your feel that your kayak is touching the bottom in shallow areas of the lagoon (possible sometimes during a dry season), please stay in your kayak and call out to your Guide who will guide you to navigate.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water prior to the activity or carry a water bottle in your kayak.
- This activity goes through the mangrove lagoons so it is important that you apply insect repellent to all exposed parts of your body. We recommend that you wear long sleeves shirts or at least a shirt that covers your back. A complimentary hat with face net is available to use if you are particularly sensitive.
- Apply sun tan lotion before you leave the Beach Pavilion. Not as vital as bug spray thanks to foliage, but you’re still going to get burned if you’re not careful.
- Stay within sight of Guide and listen to instructions of Guide
- Be aware of weather conditions and water temperature. Be aware of off-shore winds and water currents that make it difficult to return to shore.
- Our Guide carries First Aid Kit and EpiPen and we have CPR training staff available on call. Our Guide can radio to bring motor boat for rescue.
- If the kayak capsizes or your fall off the boat, stay calm and wait for instructions from your Guide.
- If you feel ill, stop immediately and call for the Guide to assist you.
- If you get hurt, stop immediately and call your Guide for assistance.
- Never mix alcohol or drugs (prescription or non-prescription) with this activity.
Like what you see?
Book an adventure of a lifetime at DR EcoAdventures today!
ABOUT DR ECOADVENTURES
DR EcoAdventures is a 100% eco-friendly and green adventure resort in the Dominican Republic. We offer guided eco tours such as: kayaking, nature walks, row boating, horseback riding and more! Discover over 600 acres of trails, lagoons, flauna and flora, all with a private beach.
“Really enjoyed horseback riding, paddle boarding and the Dominican lunch. Grounds are peaceful and beautiful. Staff is amazing, very friendly. Can’t wait to go back!”
“So glad we finally have a place with excellent facilities and fun, diverse activities in the area! What we were waiting for, to offer our clients.”