Dominican Row Boats
Our Dominican Row Boat adventure starts from the Beach Pavilion and last about one and half to two hours. These boats are the very same boats that are used by local fisherman all through the Dominican Republic. We will start at the ocean where our Guide will teach the basics of rowing and how to turn the boat left and right. We start by paddling east in the turquoise ocean for about thirty minutes when we reach the Rio San Juan River. Then we will navigate the entrance into the river and then row in the river for about one hour. Rowing is a skill that takes time to master. Beginners to rowing will should use a double sided paddle to row in the ocean and then then look to use the oars in the river. We then return back by rowing west in the ocean. The Cuaco Lagoon also joins the ocean near the mouth of the Rio San Juan River. There is a multiplicity of birds in the lagoon as well as a variety of crabs in the mangroves (and don’t worry since the crabs will not get near your boat). Along the river you will see pastures with cows, bulls and horses as well as variety of birds. We have documented flora and fauna for those who are particularly interested in the same and this booklet can be downloaded here.
⇣ Safety Instructions
- Life Vest must be worn at all times.
- No more than three adults plus child in any boat.
- Never stand up in your boat or try to row into other boats.
- If your feel that your boat is touching the bottom in shallow areas of the river (possible sometimes during a dry season), please stay in your boat and call out to your Guide who will guide you to navigate.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water prior to the activity or carry a water bottle in your boat.
- This activity goes through the Rio San Juan River so it is important that you apply insect repellent to all exposed parts of your body. We recommend that you wear long sleeves shirts or at least a shirt that covers your back. A complimentary hat with face net is available to use if you are particularly sensitive.
- Apply sun tan lotion before you leave the Beach Pavilion. You are going to get burned if you’re not careful.
- Stay within sight of Guide and listen to instructions of Guide
- Be aware of weather conditions and water temperature. Be aware of off-shore winds and water currents that make it difficult to return to shore.
- Our Guide carries First Aid Kit and EpiPen and we have CPR training staff available on call. Our Guide can radio to bring motor boat for rescue.
- If the boat capsizes or your fall off the boat, stay calm and wait for instructions from your Guide.
- If you feel ill, stop immediately and call for the Guide to assist you.
- If you get hurt, stop immediately and call your Guide for assistance.
- Never mix alcohol or drugs (prescription or non-prescription) with this activity.
Like what you see?
Book an adventure of a lifetime at DR EcoAdventures today!
ABOUT DR ECOADVENTURES
DR EcoAdventures is a 100% eco-friendly and green adventure resort in the Dominican Republic. We offer guided eco tours such as: kayaking, nature walks, row boating, horseback riding and more! Discover over 600 acres of trails, lagoons, flauna and flora, all with a private beach.
“Really enjoyed horseback riding, paddle boarding and the Dominican lunch. Grounds are peaceful and beautiful. Staff is amazing, very friendly. Can’t wait to go back!”
“So glad we finally have a place with excellent facilities and fun, diverse activities in the area! What we were waiting for, to offer our clients.”